A vaping behaviour change campaign, targeting 14 to 24-year-olds.
The Cancer Institute NSW has launched a new vaping behaviour change campaign, targeting 14 to 24-year-olds.
The campaign, ‘Every vape is a hit to your health’ has been developed by Bastion Agency to highlight the serious health harms caused by vaping.
It features real stories from young people who have vaped and experienced first-hand the health consequences of vaping. Respiratory doctors also feature, sharing the evidence and experience they’ve had of vapes causing serious health problems.
Matt Clarke, head of marketing, cancer screening and prevention, Cancer Institute NSW, says the evidence of the harms vaping is causing is continuing to grow and is very concerning.
"Vapes are highly addictive, often contain nicotine and can cause lung damage and breathing problems, with some of the toxic chemicals found in vapes known to cause cancer,” says Clarke.
“Hearing first-hand from the young people in the campaign, how much vaping had a hold on them and how it affected their health was really shocking. This behaviour change campaign aims to contribute to countering this growing issue by highlighting the health harms through a peer-to-peer approach."
The strategy was informed by a robust and rigorously evidenced behaviour change model for vaping cessation and the creative idea validated for its ability to effectively change both attitudes and behaviours of young people who vape.
It does this in an unexpected way, messaging not just the consequences but also the perceived upside and appeal of vapes in the minds of young people – a key factor in driving relevance and engagement by this audience, who feel understood and informed, rather than lectured at.
Simon Langley, Group CCO at Bastion, says this is a problem so concerning that the agency felt a huge responsibility on its shoulders to deliver a campaign that is going to make a significant impact.
"We believe this idea is the right one to do and research shows it is primed to hit hard and change behaviour," he says.
The campaign is live across Cinema, OLV, digital display, OOH, native articles and social media.
Client: Cancer Institute NSW Health
- Marketing Director, Social Marketing & Campaigns Screening & Prevention: Matthew Clarke
- Team Leader, Social Marketing & Campaigns Screening and Prevention: Lexi Le Clerc
- Portfolio Manager, Vaping Control, Social Marketing and Campaigns: Gemma Hearnshaw
- Portfolio Manager, Social Marketing and Campaigns - Screening & Prevention: Samantha Raheb
- Project Officer, Vaping Control, Social Marketing and Campaigns: David Murray
- Managing director: Mike Godwin
- Group chief creative officer: Simon Langley
- National chief strategy officer: Angela Morris
- Group client director: Katy Grey
- Senior client manager: Kirsty Wootton
- Creative director: Scott Hopkin
- Creative director: Laurence Cronin
- Creative director: Chris Searle
- Designer: Sean Davitt
Media Agency: OMD
- Account Director: Samantha Mitchell
- Account Manager: Tahlia Watts
- Senior Account Manager, Social & Innovation: Lloyd Cuffe
Production company: Eight
- Director: Tourist (Mitch Green)
- Executive producer: Lib Kelly
- DOP: Gregoire Liere
Post: Bastion Make
- Senior Broadcast Producer: Niki Bentley
- Editor: Lucas Vasquez
- Colourist: Alina Bermingham
- Flame: Brad Smith
Sound: Electric Sheep
Music Composition: Nicholas Keate