The November/December Christmas advertising surge is coming, according to Nielsen Ad Intel data.
The final quarter of the year is the biggest of the year for advertising by retailers.
Not only does the quarter have Christmas but also the increaassingly important Black Friday on November 29 and Cyber Monday on December 2.
Nielsen says there's traditionally a big jump in advertising by liquor stores, department stores and supermarkets.
The three sectors spent a combined $105 million in November and December last year.
- 28% of Retail Liquor Stores total ad spend was placed in Nov/Dec
- $16 million spent on Liquor store advertising in Nov/Dec
- Top 3 advertisers by ad spend were Dan Murphys, 1st Choice Liquor Superstore, Liquorland
- 22% of s upermarket total ad spend was placed in November/December
- $44 million spent on supermarket advertising in the same two months
- Top 3 advertisers by ad spend were Woolworths, Coles, Aldi
- Almost 30% of retail department stores total ad spend was placed in November/December
- $45 million spent on retail department store advertising in November/December
- Top 3 advertisers by ad spend Myer, Big W, Amazon
According to a survey by marketing intelligence company MiQ, a lot of Australians (56%) start holiday shopping in September looking for gifts for a significant other or their children.
Nearly three-quarters of shopping for coworkers and two-thirds of shopping for extended family will occur in December.
Australians, compared to shoppers in the US, Canada, and the UK, are more likely to use mobile devices for every holiday shopping-related task, including browsing online, reading product reviews, and making purchases.
The Nielsen data:
Have something to say on this? Share your views in the comments section below. Or if you have a news story or tip-off, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org