Top 50 Australian Agency Rankings
We rebooted the AdNews Agency Rankings in 2017 to create Australia's Top 50 Agencies. Points are allocated and all agencies – media, digital, creative or otherwise – are ranked by points.
The Australia's Top 50 Agencies Ranking is created from this. From this we will then split out the top media, digital, creative and independent agencies.
The Top Agencies Ranking is released annually in February and replaces the former AdNews Rankings which was released three times a year. You can still find the archive of AdNews Rankings scores here: Advertising, Media, Digital.
The period of awards included is the 2016 Calendar year. There are no points allocated for finalists, only winning entries.
Overview and points system
The programmes included are as follows, with points weighted towards the prestige of each programme, and the award won. Listed below from highest to lowest scoring.
AdNews Agency of the Year Awards
Media Federation Awards
ADMA AC+E Awards
Val Morgan ACES
The One Show
Festival of Media Asia
Festival of Media Global
- Results are sourced from the official award websites or from direct contact with the award organisers.
- If an agency has some involvement in an award-winning piece of work but is not credited in the headline results, we will not allocate points to the agency. Any complaints about this should be directed to the organisers.
- If two or more agencies are credited in the headline results for an award, the relevant points have been allocated to both companies. Example: a creative agency and a media planning agency may both be credited for an effectiveness award.
- Where a network is anmed on a winning award (For example 'Leo Burnett') the allocated points are split between the two largest agencies that form that network (For Example Leo Burnett Sydney and Leo Burnett Melbourne each receive half the points).
- Points for work-based awards are allocated to the named agency on the entries/announced winners. Points for Agencies (in Agency of the Year programmes) are also allocated to that named agency.
- A network is defined for the purpose of these rankings as an agency which has more than one office which use the same name and make up a network. It is not defined as a holding group. For Example Dentsu Aegis Network is a Holding Company, not a network, as is IPG Mediabrands. Leo Burentt adn Carat are considered networks.
- AdNews defines a media agency as an agency which predominantly operates in the media space. Points for categories beyond media will also be awarded. (For example if MediaCom wins a creative award those points will be added to its total.)
- We have not included awards made to individuals, e.g., lifetime achievement awards.
- We do not include agency of the year awards when they are simply an aggregation of other awards for work made in the same program.
- Only Australian-based agencies are included.
- Client companies, public relations companies and production companies are excluded