YouTube has revealed what ads Aussies watched most on its online video player this year, with an ad for mobile game Clash of Clans topping the list.
With more than 85 million views globally, the minute-long ad couldn't be beat, however several locally produced ads also made the list including Optus’ first reluctant Ricky Gervais spot and Dolmio's fun use of technology with its Pepper Hacker.
Google's streaming behemoth highlighted that the ads that were best received were made for the platform, such as Nutri-Grain’s unstoppable series.
Head of YouTube and ads marketing at Google Australia, Chris Dodson, said: "The Ads Leaderboard is now in its third year. The 2015 edition showcases how brands are continuing to find new ways to capture people’s imaginations on YouTube, from the distinctively unskippable Optus ad featuring Ricky Gervais, to longer form made-for-web ads from the likes of Nutri-Grain and Air New Zealand.
“YouTube watch time is up 60% since last year. With Australians spending more and more time on YouTube, we look forward to seeing the work that brands create, broadcast and share in 2016."
The top 10 ads featured on the Leaderboard are calculated using an algorithm that factors in organic and paid views, watch time and also audience retention.
See the full list for yourself below.
1. Clash of Clans: Ride of the Hog Riders. Creative: Barton F. Graf 9000, New York
2. Did Ricky Gervais just do that to Optus? Creative: Emotive/M&C Saatchi Media: Starcom
3.Technology has hijacked family dinner time. Watch the Dolmio Pepper Hacker reclaim it. Creative: Clemenger BBDO, Pollen Digital. Media: Starcom, Ogilvy
4. Remove labels this Ramadan, Coke. Creative: FP7 DXB & Memac Ogilvy. Media: UM MENA
5. The unique connection, Pandora. Creative: Malling Publications
6. All-new Honda HR-V. Creative: Leo Burnett Melbourne. Media: Zenith Optimedia
7. Rugby player with life-threatening disease – Nathan Charles, Nutri-Grain. Creative: J. Walter Thompson Sydney. Media: Mindshare.
8. The Lexus Hoverboard: It's here. Creative: CHI & Partners. Media: The Media Store
9. Men In Black Safety Defender #AirNZSafetyVideo. Creative: TRUE. Media: OMD
10. Air New Zealand’s Safety Safari #AirNZSafetyVideo. Creative: TRUE. Media: OMD
Have something to say on this? Share your views in the comments section below. Or if you have a news story or tip-off, drop us a line at email@example.com